There are certain moments in a parent's life that quietly change everything.
The day my son left for his hostel was one of those moments.
For months, our lives revolved around entrance exams, counselling, college choices, document verification, shopping lists, and endless discussions about what the future would look like. Every decision seemed monumental; every day was filled with anticipation.
And then, suddenly, it was all over.
The Goodbye
His bags were packed. We reached the campus, helped him settle into his room, exchanged a few last-minute instructions, smiled for photographs, and said our goodbyes.
As I walked away from the hostel, I kept looking back. I don't know whether I was checking if he was still there or just hoping he would call out, "Maa, one more thing..."
He smiled confidently, but every mother knows that behind a brave smile, there are a thousand emotions—both for the child and for the parent.
The Unfamiliar Silence
When I returned home, the silence felt heavy.
His room was exactly as he had left it. His favourite mug was still on the shelf, and the dining table seemed a little emptier. For years, my day had unconsciously revolved around him—reminding him about classes, asking if he had eaten, discussing exams, planning meals, and listening to stories from school and coaching.
Suddenly, the house had become overwhelmingly quiet.
For the first few days, I found myself constantly glancing at the clock. Had he reached his classroom on time? Did he eat a proper breakfast? Has he made new friends? Is he missing home just as much as I am missing him?
Letting Go With Love
Then, I reminded myself of something incredibly important: This is exactly what we had been preparing our children for.
We raise them not just to score well in examinations, but to become independent, responsible, and confident human beings. A hostel is much more than a building where students stay; it becomes their first real classroom for life. They learn to manage their time, take responsibility for their belongings, solve problems without us, make lifelong friendships, and slowly discover who they really are.
And while they are learning independence, we parents are learning something equally profound—how to let go with love.
We realise that parenting doesn't end when our children leave home. It simply changes.
Instead of reminding them to wake up, we wait for their "good morning" message.
Instead of serving them dinner, we ask, "Did you eat properly today?"
Instead of solving every problem, we encourage them to find their own solutions, while quietly reassuring them that home will always be their safe place.
My Own New Beginning
I have also realised that this phase is not just a new beginning for my son. It is a new beginning for me.
For years, my identity was rooted in being available whenever my child needed me. Today, I finally have the time to rediscover myself. I can read more, learn new skills, revive old dreams, and perhaps build something meaningful that I had postponed for years.
The house may be quieter, but life isn't over. It is simply entering a beautiful new chapter.
To the Parents Walking This Path
If you are a parent whose child has recently moved to a hostel or left home for college, I want you to know that your emotions are completely natural. It's okay to miss them. It's okay to cry after coming home to an empty room. It doesn't make you weak—it simply reflects the depth of your love.
Our children may leave our homes to build their future, but they never leave our hearts.
And perhaps this is what parenting has always been about: not holding on forever, but raising our children with enough love, courage, and confidence that one day, they can walk into the world entirely on their own.
Let's Connect
If you've gone through this experience, I'd love to hear your story. How did you cope when your child left for college or a hostel? Let's support one another in this beautiful, bittersweet journey called parenthood. Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Comments
Post a Comment